Sunday, July 14, 2013

Downsizing

For class this week, we were told to make a two page handout over a website that they assigned us in class. My website was called Diigo, which I had never heard of. It turns out, Diigo is an online tool that has many uses. You can go to websites and highlight, annotate, save anything you see. Then, whenever you return to that website, the same things will be highlighted, annotated, etc. This assignment is for a project called "Organize Your Life", where we learn about different websites that can help us get organized. And, as anyone in the MAC program can tell you, organization is crucial to success.

At first, I was sad that I didn't get Pinterest or another website that I know of, because it would be really easy to create a handout and explain it to my small group. When I started researching Diigo, though, I was glad that I got a site I didn't know about, because it was exciting to learn about a new tool!

Creating a two page handout proved to be much more difficult than I originally thought it would be. There is SO much information on how to use Diigo, that downsizing it to fit in two pages was hard. Also, we were told that screen shots would be helpful, which take up a lot of space on the page. I started by watching the video tutorials on the Diigo site and taking notes on what I thought were the most important aspects. I found three major functions of the website, and three major benefits. The functions include adding networks (users), creating groups, and creating a library of documents. The benefits are research, collaboration, and sharing.

In the end, I decided to structure my handout by putting a few steps in the beginning to get the user started, followed by listening the three benefits and how the are useful to the tool, and then outlining the three major functions and what they do. This quickly took up my two allotted pages! I also used the background knowledge that I knew my peers would have, such as how to create an account in Diigo, to save space. So, instead of detailing exactly how to enter all your information to create an account, I was able to just write that step 1 was to create an account. I'm excited to hear about the websites that my group members researched so I can learn even more tools to organize my online life!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Morgan,

    Lauren was in my group, and she also had Diigo, so I was able to learn a bit about this tool as well. I agree that some of the function of this tool could be useful, but the issue I have with this and other online tools is that they have limited functionality unless you decide to pay for them. I know people gotta eat and all, but it's annoying to me as a broke college student that there are these potentially useful tools out there, but to use them all would be impossible because I just don't have the finances available for all of them (or any of them, actually).

    ReplyDelete