Tuesday, July 23, 2013

The Real Life Math Game

In class yesterday, we talked about a lot of different topics including research, Bring Your Own Device (BYOD), and connecting across disciplines. However, the most catching part of the class for me occurred within the last 5 minutes. Rory, one of our teachers, posed a question asking what a class that's based on acting out a game might look like. At my high school, the AP History class played some sort of game for the last couple months of the school year that involved them taking on the roles of different country - similar to the board game "Risk". I really have no details about the technicalities of the game, because I was (and am) awful at history, so I wasn't actually in the class. If you're interested, though, and want to find out more and possibly use it in your own classroom, I can definitely find out the information from someone who took it.

However, this isn't the kind of game-like class Rory is talking about. The AP History class played the game as an "outside of the curriculum" activity. If I remember correctly, it is how they spent their class time once the AP test was over, therefore the game, while probably having some meaningful learning experience, was played at almost a no-stakes level. Their AP test score wasn't dependent at all on how they did in this game. What Rory is talking about, is a game that IS the curriculum. A game that encompasses the entire school year, not just a portion after all the "important" tests are done. This got me to wonder - how could I turn my math classroom into a game that makes students excited and eager to come to school?

For some reason, my first thought was Candyland. Let's be honest, who doesn't love candy, chocolate, and bright colors? I envision an awesomely decorated classroom, with areas designated to represent each of the "lands" in Candyland. Since this is a hypothetical classroom, I also want those really cool Node Desks from Steelcase. They come in 12 different colors, and they're amazing. There's one classroom in the School of Ed (that I know of) that has them, but they're just grey. Here's a picture:


So, I want my math game classroom to have these chairs, coordinating with the colors of the Candyland decorations. Then, I would decorate the entire floor like a giant game board, with the different colored spaces and a winding path all around the classroom. The idea is this: Students get to design a game piece during the first week of school. The game pieces with somehow adhere to the game board on the floor. Each student will start at the beginning on the first day of school. Then, everyday, there will be opportunities to move your game piece forward in the game. Turning in your homework, getting above a certain grade on a test, etc. are all examples of things that can move your game piece. Because the chairs above are on wheels, it will be really easy to move them around in order to access all parts of the game board. It's my hope that this game would inspire students to do their work and try to achieve the goals needed to get to move their piece forward. There would also be little incentives on the board along the way, such as free homework or bathroom passes. I'm not sure how feasible this idea actually is, but in my head it's definitely a math class environment that I would want to teach and learn in!

4 comments:

  1. Morgan, I like this idea! And I like how exciting your classroom would look. Students would love it.

    My only question is how you would deal with competition. Kids can get super competitive and some kids might just be much faster or more adept at math than others. What would you do to encourage the kids who are far behind? And what would you do if a kid got so discouraged they just didn't want to play the game at all anymore?

    I definitely think there's a way to make your idea work, I just remember myself as a math student in high school and know that I would have been very afraid of that game. That said, who knows. maybe an exceptional teacher can frame the experience in such a way that it would only be motivating and not scary and too public.

    Hmmm...it's definitely interesting to think about. Thanks for great idea!

    -Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morgan,
    I think high school students would totally go for this. I think Math especially gets pigeonholed by students as being boring and irrelevant. This would definitely frame it in a way that hooks students. Now you just have to raise the money for those chairs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea, and I can totally see you pulling something like this off in your classroom( because really the bright colors scream Morgan). This seems like a great way for the students to take ownership of their learning and get excited about math. Even if this wasn't something you could make happen for the whole school year it seems like this idea could also be scaled down to get kids excited about one lesson or one unit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Morgan!

    This sounds like so much fun! And you have the set up for perfect extrinsic motivators...tokens along the way and maybe even candy!

    What would happen when they got to the end? I was thinking about how this game could also promote intrinsic motivation. Would it not matter so that students wouldn't get discouraged, or not be too difficult to achieve? These are all questions I want to ask in my own classroom as well, but it seems like your board game would make everything more visible. This could also be a positive way to start thinking metacognitively about your practice and what you want to focus on within a framework. I think it's a fun idea and I hope you get to play it out someday!

    Something I just thought of was my interest in designing my own board games when I was a kid. I wonder if having the students create and play their own games might be another cool way to engage them.

    ReplyDelete